Saturday, August 7, 2010

Into The Woods Quick Thoughts pt. 1

249 Days

The words "Into The Woods" are sang and said numerous times throughout the text.

A few months ago Dramaturg, Kevin Becerra, and I were sitting on my porch having a quick discussion about Stephen Sondheims Into The Woods. The conversation was had shortly after we both were informed that we would be working on the production together.

Kevin through out an idea that had been on his mind. What are the woods? What does Sondheim mean by "the woods?"

I thought this question was very interesting and upon first thought I had some ideas.

Fast forward a few months, still a couple months away from the first production meeting. I begin to think of the same question and I also begin to think about what that question means to the lighting design. With no directors concepts or concrete details, I feel that I can explore this question with no negative impact in the future development of the show.

When it comes to lighting I think that Into The Woods could provide a necessity for obvious movement in the design. The title and repeated line suggest a sense of movement. Although lighting design should always provide a sense of movement I think that Into The Woods should showcase a specific attention to movement.

The phrase "Into The Woods," while providing a sense of movement also provides a feeling of change.
Obvious statement time:
If you are traveling INTO the woods then you were not in the woods before. Thus showing that the characters are being set in an unfamiliar setting.

The last observation I would like to record for the night is an extension of the previous. Regardless of textual evidence. If the characters are traveling "into the woods" then where will they come out? Will they come out? Is the woods a vessel for travel or is it the ultimate destination? Can the woods be depicted as some sort of limbo, a place where the characters go to spend time, perform a duty, pay their dues to receive a better life.

No comments:

Post a Comment